Students Prepare for College During College Week

Students+learn+information+about+colleges+during+the+College+Fair.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students learn information about colleges during the College Fair.

Madison Casteele, Author

SMHS held a week full of college related events on 11/5-11/9. Monday was a scholarship informational meeting about the Steeley Memorial Scholarship. 

The awards will pay for, but not exceed, the actual cost of tuition and fees, room and board on campus, and books, less any amount the awardee receives from another scholarship or grant. 

To apply for the scholarship, students must complete the form and submit an essay explaining what college means to them.  

“To me, college means doing what my parents never got the chance to do. It’s the opportunity to pursue a career I enjoy and not struggle so much in life,” said senior Brittney Gano.  

Wednesday was a college fair during all three lunches and students could apply to college in the library computer lab.  

Students preparing things for the Door Decorating Contest

Thursday was a college application workshop in the library computer lab from 11am-2pm for Penn State. There was also a scholarship workshop at Shepherd University’s Student Center at 6:30pm.  

Friday students had the opportunity to apply to college in the library computer lab during all three lunches.  

College week also gave the teachers an opportunity to show off their college of choice. Teachers throughout the week wore Marshall gear, West Virginia University gear, Tech School gear, and other college gear. Friday allowed teachers to wear gear from their own college and show school spirit.  

“College week put everything into perspective. I understand what I have to get done,” said senior Hailey Davis.