SMHS Students Showcase knowledge at Social Studies Fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vijay Singer, author

On Thursday November 29, SMHS held their annual Social Studies Fair in the small gym. 

Over 100 students decided to participate in the Social Studies Fair this school year, and there were many great projects. Sophomore Dominic Weber did his project on the back story of Jimmy Butler. Butler’s mom kicked him out of the house when he was just a little kid. He was forced to move in with his best friends, and he went on to have a very successful basketball career.  

“I was watching a video on YouTube about his backstory, and I found it to be very interesting. I thought this would be a great chance to get to learn more about him because he’s one of my favorite players right now,” said Weber. 

Sophomore Mason Marnell did his project on Johan Cruyff. Cruyff was a soccer player from the Netherlands. His style of play influenced the way new athletes played the game. 

“Cruyff majorly impacted the way players want to play the game by the way he attacked on the field. Cruyff was an interesting player. When I’m on the field playing, I try to model myself after him,” said Marnell. 

Freshman Jacob Fox’s project was on mummification in ancient Egypt. The Egyptians thought that they were assuring themselves a rebirth in the afterlife.  

fox and his board

“I was having a hard time thinking of a topic that I would be interested in doing research on, so I started searching the internet for interesting topics. I saw an article on ancient Egypt and that’s what I decided to do it on,” said Fox.

All the students at SHMS worked hard on their projects at the fair.