The Scientists of Spring Mills

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Scientists of Spring Mills

Ms. Woofter showing off her student's projects

Jessica Raya, Author

The Scientists of Spring Mills   

By: Jessica Raya  

On Thursday December 6th, Spring Mills High School held its annual Science Fair in the small gym.  

Many students signed up for this year’s Science Fair, and many of them were successful, presenting their great ideas to the judges. Seniors Ryan Gibson and Turrell Martin did an interesting project together. The topic they chose to experiment on was the effect music has on a person’s heart rate.  

“We tested on ten participants the resting heart rate and the heart rate after listening to a different song once a week for five weeks,” said Martin. They had the ten participants listen to five different songs. They chose two upbeat and fast songs, two slow and somber songs, and one song that was in between slow and fast.  

Their hypothesis stated that “if you listen to slow songs, then your heart rate will decrease, and if you listen to fast songs, then your heart rate will increase.” Based on the data these two seniors collected throughout the five weeks, their hypothesis was correct.   

“We were having trouble finding an interesting topic, so we tried thinking of topic ideas based on what we liked that we could experiment on. Since we both really liked listening to music, we thought it would be a perfect topic. We named it Music Moves the Heart,” said Gibson.  

There were many projects displayed at the Science Fair and based on the posters, it’s clear that SMHS students worked hard and tried their best on them.