Cardinal Players Rehearse for Competition 

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students rehearsing The Women of Lockerbie.

Elleanna Stoner

Elleanna Stoner

Elleanna Stoner

Kendall Snyder, Author

The Cardinal Players have been rehearsing their one act play, The Women of Lockerbie, in the auditorium over the course of the last couple months, in preparation for the Regional One Act Play Festival at Musselman High School on January 26th.  

They spent the entire school day rehearsing on Thursday, December 20th, the day before winter break. There will be a special performance of the show for family and friends on January 24th at 6:30pm.  

The Women of Lockerbie is based on a true story: on December 21st, 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed over Lockerbie, Scotland. 270 people — 243 passengers, 16 crew members, and 11 people on the ground — passed away in the explosion. December 2018 marked the 30th anniversary of the bombing.  

Elleanna Stoner
Players rehearsing The Women of Lockerbie.

The play focuses on the effect that the terrorist attack had on the lives of the people in Lockerbie, as well as the families and friends of the victims. Despite being based on a real event, the events and characters portrayed in the show are fictional. 

“I’m playing a man named Bill Livingston,” said junior Nigel Guest-Hatcher. “His son died in the explosion. In the play, he and his wife show their grief in very different ways, but despite that, they still seem like real people. I think that’s really cool that a play could make characters and their emotions so realistic.” 

“I’m so excited to compete and for people to see that show,” said senior and stage manager Elleanna Stoner. “The cast has put in so much time and energy into making this show the best it can be, and I’m so proud of them.”