Math Wizards of SMHS Strike at Math Field Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top placers of SMHS in Math Field Day

Top placers of SMHS in Math Field Day

Top placers of SMHS in Math Field Day

Top placers of SMHS in Math Field Day

Luigi Santiago, Author

14 students from SMHS attended the Math Field Day on Thursday, January 17th at Musselman High school to compete for the win and try to place in the competition.

Sophomore Nina Saluja won first place in the 10-12 category, while Davis Funk got fourth place, and Chris Smith got ninth place. Mr. Ristovic was their mentor for Math Field Day, and he was proud of how hard they worked for this competition. 

“I was really surprised because since it was my first-time competing in the 10-12 category, I never thought I would win,” said Saluja. She was just hoping that she’ll place in the top 10. Saluja has been participating Math Field Day since she was in fourth grade. 

1st placer in Math Field Day. Sophomore Nina Saluja

There were also first-timers for SMHS who joined the Math Field Day and did very well. They helped one another during the relay and learned how the competition goes. The test was 40 minutes to answer 4 out of 6 long questions, and 4 sets of 2 short answer questions for 10 mins each. 

The 9th graders had to do short answer, written exam, mental exact, and mental estimation. The mental exact is a question they read out loud and then have 20 seconds to mentally compute it and write it down in pen. The mental estimation is a question that is projected and they have 20 seconds to mentally compute it and come up with an answer that’s within 10% of the exact answer. 

“I think we all learned a lot from the competition. The problems really made us stretch our brains,” said Saluja. It taught students how to apply math that they already knew to different problems and, in some cases, real life situations. 

The SMHS team is expecting the regional competition to be harder and challenging. They are going to have to put in a lot of effort to prepare. The math wizards are keeping their eyes on the prize step by step.