Remembering Moore

Back to Article
Back to Article

Remembering Moore

Sydney DeVaney, Author

On January 30th, the Varsity Boys Basketball team faced the Martinsburg Bulldogs in a home match and dedicated the game to the late Officer Jacquin Moore.  

The Wednesday night basketball game’s student section theme was advertised as a “Blue Out” in honor of the officers in blue, specifically Moore, who was Spring Mills High School’s resource officer and who coached varsity track during the 2017-2018 year. Moore also served six years with the US Army National Guard and worked as the Musselman High School resource officer prior to his time at Spring Mills.  

Moore was involved in an off-duty motorcycle accident on June 14th, 2018 that took his life.  Moore was and is very near and dear to many hearts of Spring Mills.  

“He was really a Cardinal through and through,” said principal Robert Myers to the Herald Mail in June.  

The memorial game was organized by cook Dreama Smith and teacher Rebecca Hutchinson and was ran by members of the leadership class.  The teachers were given the early opportunity to purchases memorial t-shirts, and each player on the basketball wore the t-shirt as well during their warm-ups.  The money made from selling t-shirts, half of a 50/50 raffle, and a half-time shoot out went towards the Jacquin Moore Scholarship Fund. 

Moore’s mother, brother, and many friends attended the game in support of the Cardinals.  

Senior and Leadership member, Meagan Schmuck, volunteered to sell t-shirts at the game.  

“I got to sell Officer Moore’s family t-shirts, and it was really special to them. We had a lot of support that night. It was great to see how many people are willing to support such a great cause to honor the loss of someone who was so important to us and our school, as well as aid a student in need to further their education,” said Schmuck.