All’s Fair in Love and Writing: SMHS Student Wins Love Poem Contest

Kendall Snyder

Back to Article
Back to Article

This is a picture of Lauren Weber, the winner of the teen division of the 2019 Herald-Mail love poem contest.

Kendall Snyder, Author

This February, Spring Mills High School sophomore Lauren Weber won the teen category of the Herald-Mail love poetry contest with her poem “Everything.” 

At the start of the month, Mrs. Jessica Salfia, who teaches AP Language and Composition as well as Creative Writing, encouraged Weber and her creative writing classmates to enter the contest. The students were not required to submit their work, but entering the contest was a good opportunity for the young writers who were looking to step outside of their comfort zones of the classroom. 

“I was shocked when I found out. I didn’t think I was going to win at all,” said Weber. “For a while I had been debating even entering the contest.” 

Salfia chose the love poem contest not only because of the opportunity it gave her students, but also because love was the topic of the season with Valentine’s Day coming up. The contest’s rules, however, made it free for students to write about whatever type of love they could think of, from romantic to platonic. Because the topic of love was left open ended, the poets could write about virtually whatever their hearts desired. 

Weber chose to write about her religious faith in her poem “Everything.” Though the poem can also be interpreted without the context of religion, Weber wrote it about her security in her faith. 

“I was inspired by creation,” said Weber. “What came to mind when I was thinking of what to write for the contest was God’s love for His people and His creation.” 

Weber’s winning poem, “Everything” was featured on the Herald-Mail website, and, in honor of her student’s achievement, Salfia promised a small Valentine’s Day themed celebration for the creative writing class that the young writer is in.