SMHS Thespians Act Well Their Part at State Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thespians on Thursday night after enjoying a full day of activities.

Kendall Snyder, Author

From March 14th-16th, members of the Spring Mills High School Thespian Troupe traveled to Morgantown, West Virginia to compete in this year’s State Thespian Festival that was hosted by West Virginia University. 

Not only did two Spring Mills students get superior ratings on their individual events, qualifying them to compete at the International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, Nebraska this June, but if Washington High School’s winning show The Shape of the Grave is unable to attend Internationals, Spring Mills High School’s The Women of Lockerbie can go in place of it. 

The festival provided many workshops and competitions for the thespians to participate in. Some of the workshops centered around acting in accents, Islamic folk dance, and stage combat, while the competitions included different categories of acting, singing, and technical aspects of theatre. 

Some Spring Mills thespians after the State Festival award ceremony.

The thespians brought home many awards, including the Spirit of Thespis, an award to honor a school’s attendance throughout the festival, which they share with Hedgesville High School. This means that every student who attended the festival from both of these schools participated in all of the workshops, saw all of the plays, and watched or competed in all of the events that they possibly could.

Some other awards that Spring Mills students won include senior Elleanna Stoner’s 3rd place in Stage Management and 2nd place in Character Makeup, junior Sarah Sweeney’s superior ratings in Monologues and Costume Design, and junior Nigel Guest-Hatcher’s honor of Best Actor. 

“It was unexpected,” said junior Maggie Denton about being awarded festival cast for her performance in The Women of Lockerbie. “But it was also really exciting because Nigel hadn’t been awarded anything yet, so I knew that he had gotten Best Actor.” 

This festival not only recognized the hard work that the Spring Mills thespians put into their art, but it was also a chance for them to interact freely with other like-minded students from around the state. 

“States was such an amazing time for me,” said Stoner. “I got to meet a lot of students from around the state who have the same interests as me, and I would highly recommend the experience to anyone who gets the opportunity to go.”