Becca’s Closet: “Everyone Deserves a Dress”

Sydney DeVaney, Author

Spring Mills Cardinals have brought Becca’s Closet into the school from now until April 26th so that every student can afford to go to Prom.  

Becca’s Closet is an organization started by a 16-year-old cheerleader and honors student named Rebecca who passed way in a car accident on August 20th, 2003. She had launched a dress drive to give the girls who couldn’t afford dresses an equal opportunity. She genuinely believed that every girl deserved to go to Prom and have a good time.  

Mrs. Jackson heard the story and brought it to the Cardinal Nation. 

“Her story is truly inspiring, and when I heard it, I knew I had to help out,” said senior Rose Britner.  

The school has had over 500 dresses donated to them from local businesses. It is open to the whole county and is completely free.  

“I was so impressed by the number of people who are willing to help out and make girls’ dreams of Prom come true,” said senior Rachel Ellis.  

Every lunch period, there are students sitting in the back of cafeteria who are always willing to help Monday-Wednesday. 

“Come and sign up! It’s easy and free and takes two seconds. You even get to keep the dress you pick! We are always around to answer any questions,” said Ellis.  

Once a student signs up, an appointment is made. For the appointment, students go to the LGI room during their lunch and can choose their dress.  

“This is such a great opportunity, and I want every student to hear about it who needs it. I would never want a student to miss out on such an important experience in high school. I’m so glad to have been a part of this,” said Ellis.