Spring Choir Concert Showcases Music Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Concert Choir performing

Concert Choir performing "Shut Up and Dance."

Kendall Snyder, Author

On Thursday, April 4th, in the auditorium, the Choir and Jazz Band students performed the music that they have been working on in their classes at their spring concert. 

Four different groups took the stage that night: the Jazz Band, Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, and FLIGHT show choir. Each of these groups brought their own unique performances to the stage.

The Jazz Band performing.

Not only did the Jazz Band play their own set including songs like “Running With Scissors” by Gordon Goodwin and “Boogie On Reggae Woman” by Stevie Wonder, but they also accompanied the show choir as they performed a medley of songs from the upcoming spring musical, Annie. 

FLIGHT’s medley was choreographed solely by three students in the group: stage manager and sophomore Mattison Werry, dance captain and senior Elleanna Stoner, and senior Charity Turley. The three put in a lot of work to ensure that the show was ready to be performed for the concert.

FLIGHT performing their Annie Medley.

“It was hard to help choreograph because I’m not really a dancer,” said Stoner, “but it was an amazing collaborative process that taught me a lot. I feel lucky to have had this type of opportunity for my last concert.” 

Some other performances of the night were the Concert Choir’s “True Colors” and “Shut Up and Dance,” along with the chamber choir’s “Lost Boy” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.” 

For the song “Shut Up and Dance,” a student guitar player, freshman Kenzal Jones, accompanied the concert choir, and the audience was encouraged to participate in making the music by snapping or clapping with the singers.  

“We have a lot of fun up there,” said senior Ariel Werry, a member of the Chamber Choir. “It’s always really fun to get up on the stage.” 

The music students who didn’t perform on the 4th were preparing to perform on April 11th at the Band and Orchestra concert.