Spring Mills Honors National Honors Society Inductees

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2019 members of National Honors Society.

Kendall Snyder, Author

On Sunday, April 7th in the auditorium, the Spring Mills High School National Honors Society (NHS) inducted over 30 juniors and seniors who applied and met the qualifications to become a part of the group. 

NHS was the first school organization in the United States to honor high-achieving students on the national level, with the first chapter having been created in 1921. At Spring Mills, the group does a variety of service projects in the school and community, ranging from food drives to reading, fun activities, and snacks with the Pre-K students. 

The ceremony included the students reciting the society’s pledge, signing their names in the group’s roster, getting pinned with the society’s emblem, and the lighting of candles. Then, after the new members were inducted, the class of 2019 was recognized, and they had their NHS stoles distributed to them.

Some NHS inductees

To be inducted, the inductees had to have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA and uphold the pillars of the society: scholarship, leadership, character, and service. They had to go through a rigorous application process, receiving acceptance letters and ribbons the week before the ceremony itself.  

I felt so honored to have been inducted into NHS,” said junior Monica Power. “I was happy to have been selected because this is such an amazing opportunity.”  

Power and her fellow inductees will be in charge of the chapter next year, choosing the projects they do around the school and community.  

I want to help those in my school and community,” continued Power. “Being a part of this chapter means being open, caring, and a leader. I would like to gain knowledge and responsibility from this achievement. I hope being a part of this society will teach me how to become a better person.