Football team kicks off Homecoming weekend under the Friday night lights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hannah Marambio, author

On Friday September 27th, The Spring Mills Cardinals football team played South Hagerstown on home field. This game was not a typical game for the Cards and served as a kick-off for homecoming weekend.

SMHS students came out on Friday night to participate in the area 51 student section

School spirit was very much alive as the Fusion dance team, color guard, SMHS cheerleaders, band, and more were represented. Homecoming court walked across the field, and this years king and queen were crowned. Seniors Jalen Burton and Tawnie Griffon represented their class as homecoming king and queen.

Seniors Jalen Burton and Tawnie Griffon

The student section was the heart of the game and was full of students of all grade levels. Their cheering started off strong and continued throughout the game.

The cheerleaders helped keep the energy up as well. Junior Owen Walker a member of the varsity cheer team, has many positive memories from being on the team.

SMHS cheerleaders supporting the football team

“Even though we fight sometimes, we’re like a family,” said Walker.

This game night was especially bitter-sweet for the seniors.

“I’m going to miss all of my friends, and even though leaving is scary, I’m excited to move on,” said senior Sarah Sweeney.  Another senior Revan Buan, said his favorite memory of the game was getting to see his friends walk across the field for homecoming court.

Regardless of the final score (38- 0), students, cheerleaders, and football players, will always remember the memories they made during this years spirit week and homecoming festivities.