Student Body Blood Donations at Spring Mills

Josalyn Junkin, author

Spring Mills High School holds a blood drive typically twice a year, once in the very beginning of the year and again later in February or March. 

To sign up for blood drive, students must get a paper from the back of the cafeteria in the week or two leading up to the event. SGA oversees planning and getting people involved to donate. When students sign up, one of the SGA members give them a time specifically when they come to the small gym and get ready.  

The president of SGA and the senior class is Kenzie Cool. She helps out with the blood drive the whole day and stays in the gym the whole time helping the donors and making sure it runs smoothly.  

“I’m in charge of organizing everything from getting people to sign up, to the food, to getting blood drive staff to come. It was heartwarming seeing everyone doing good by giving their blood for other people, and I hope Spring Mills keeps up this tradition,” said Cool 

Seniors Zoe Mastromatteo and Kenzie Cool sit with juniors Genevieve Chenoweth and Nadia Slonaker waiting for blood to start so they can help

After students donate, they have people to walk students to the other side of the gym to sit down and they are given a choice of different snacks high in sugar to refuel. They also ask for students to sit down for a couple minutes as a safety precaution. 

Nadia Slonaker sets up the snacks table at blood drive

“Two wonderful ladies who travel around with American Red Cross brought us five dozen donuts for all the kids who donated! American Red Cross as well brought many snacks like Cheez-Its, cookies, raisins, and Nutter Butters,” said junior SGA member Nadia Slonaker.  

Many students sign up to give blood, but to make sure it’s safe the nurses run a couple tests to check to see if students will be okay after giving blood.  

There are a couple reasons why students could be turned down before they even give blood. If they have been out of the country recently, they don’t allow you to give blood. Also, if they have low iron, they will deny them because it is a higher risk of fainting or fatigue