St. Patrick’s Day: Celebrated All Around the World

(Boston, MA - 3/18/18) Maria Humphries and Helen Byrne, who came from Ireland for a long weekend, cheer during the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston, Sunday, March 18, 2018. Staff photo by Angela Rowlings.

Boston Herald

(Boston, MA – 3/18/18) Maria Humphries and Helen Byrne, who came from Ireland for a long weekend, cheer during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in South Boston, Sunday, March 18, 2018. Staff photo by Angela Rowlings.

Ryenn Snyder, Author

St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated in many ways around the world and at Spring Mills High School.

St. Patrick’s Day revolves around a boy named Patrick who was born in Roman Britain many years ago. He was kidnapped at the age of 16 and taken to Ireland as a slave. He escaped and returned to Ireland to convert the Irish to Christianity.

The first St. Patrick’s Day feast took place on March 17th, the anniversary of Patrick’s death, many years ago. This is why St. Patty’s Day is celebrated every March 17th.

Since the first feast, people around the world have been celebrating St. Patty’s Day in many ways.

In Ireland, the tradition of the first St. Patrick’s Day feast carries on each year. People carry out feasts with their loved ones, preparing traditional Irish foods such as corned beef, corned cabbage, soda bread, and shepherd’s pie.

There are other traditions that people in the United States, including Spring Mills High School, carry out each year such as wearing green and pinching people who aren’t wearing green.

Katelyn Benoit, a sophomore at Spring Mills High School carries out many different traditions on St. Patrick’s Day.

“Every year, my family, and I decorate a tree with a bunch of St. Patty’s Day decorations,” said Benoit.

St. Patrick’s Day means a lot to many different families, whether they have Irish heritage or not. In Benoit’s case, there is some Irish heritage.

“I have a lot of Irish family and I love celebrating St. Patty’s Day with them every year,” said Benoit.

All around Spring Mills, students and their loved ones celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in their own special ways.