Spring Mills Student Wins A Full Ride Scholarship

Lauren Weber, Author

BY: Lauren Weber

Senior at Spring Mills High School, Trinity Oster, has received a full ride to Haverford College, in Pennsylvania, through the QuestBridge National College Match. The scholarship partners up with over 40 colleges to give students a chance at a full ride, which would cover all college expenses.  

“For the application, I had to write two essays and several short answer questions. I submitted my basic application through QuestBridge, and then I had to file my FAFSA. I had to pick 12 colleges from the 40 available to apply for early admission,” Oster said. 

This year, out of over 18,000 applications, 6,885 students were selected as National College Match Finalists. Finalists exhibit outstanding academic achievement and qualify financially. Oster found out she was a finalist and then later, in early December, found out Haverford College had accepted her QuestBridge scholarship for a full ride. Only 1,127 students were granted a full ride through the scholarship program, which is around 5%. 

File:Haverfordfounders.jpg - Wikimedia CommonsA picture of the Haverford Campus

“I almost didn’t apply for the scholarship, but my Upward Bound counselor encouraged me to apply,” said Oster. 

The Upward Bound program is a nationally recognized program for first generation college students and lower income students. The program gives students the help and resources to prepare for college, such as SAT and ACT prep, tutoring, college tours, college classes, and even letting the students stay at some college dorms over the summer to experience college life. Oster is excited to be starting her first semester in the fall at Haverford College, in which she is majoring in chemistry.  

“Winning this scholarship means everything. I will be the first generation in my family to go to college and have a chance at a brighter future without being chained down financially,” Oster said.