Spring Mills High School Student on Her Way to Take Over Creed Speaking

Adrianna Krach, Author

Sophomore Reagan Barrett, member of the Spring Mills High School FFA, has won the honor of advancing forth to the Creed Speaking Contest at the National level. 

In August of this year, Barrett competed in the National Competition’s virtual preliminary round and advanced into the top 16 in the country. It was here that her fate was decided and she was moved up to compete at the National level.

For those not as up to par on their FFA information, Creed Speaking contest is an opportunity for members of the FFA to discuss and foster their beliefs and values and to practice speaking in a public setting. Later this month on October 27th, Barrett will be in Indianapolis, Indiana competing. When asked how this made her feel, she said that she was actually shocked to reach the semi-finals and while she is nervous, she’s definitely excited. 

With all these feelings, she admitted that while she knew she wanted to compete in some sort of contest, public speaking was not something she’d have jumped for joy to participate in. Barrett stated, “He chose me and Mckenzie Stout out of all his freshman AG students. We were more ‘volun-told’ than volunteers.” These students were picked last year.

In the mix of Creed Speaking, which is creeping up quickly, Barrett also talked about what her role in FFA is on a daily basis; “I’m on our officer team.” She then explained what that entailed, “We are expected to show up to all chapter and regional events. We plan all activities our chapter is involved in and meetings. We run the meeting room as officers.  We are in charge of setting an example for our members.” Barrett stated.

Barrett’s journey in FFA started long before she was a member. At the age of 8, Barrett started 4H and began showing livestock. From that moment, she was made aware of FFA. She knew she’d want to be a member, and she made that dream a reality. When asked what FFA meant to her, Barrett said it was her passion and that she wanted to pursue a career in the field. Barrett claimed that FFA helped her to grow her leadership skills, public speaking skills, and her respect for American Agriculture. 

As far as her future plans go, “I hope to be one of the one of seven people employed in agriculture and continue to spread my love for the organization,” Barrett said. For now, however, her focus is on Creed Speaking, and she couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity.