Our Choral Director: Mrs. Martino

Riley Betterelli, Author

Mrs. Martino is the school’s choral director and a long-time substitute teacher. This is Mrs. Martino’s first year here at Spring Mills High School. She has been teaching for 41 years. She got her teaching degree in 1980. She has taught kindergarten all the way to college.  

In her free time, she likes to play the piano, guitar, and harp. She loves doing puzzles, bowling reading, gardening, baking, and bowling. She loves to watch foreign films and listen to oratorios. Her favorite musical artists are Josh Groban and PINK. Mrs. Martino’s favorite musical is Sound of Music. 

She said she didn’t always want to be a teacher. She wanted to do TV or be a Nun. She changed her mind and pursued teaching instead. Her father was a teacher and that inspired her a lot. Her drama teacher in school inspired her to go into music and theatre.  

The chorus was preparing for their concert on December 9th, 2021. When asked about the students and their voices she said, “Spring Mills has many talented voices.” She said that the students are exceptional compared to other schools. Mrs. Martino said she loves when she is, “Seeing students exceed their own expectations.” Her best advice for students is, “Don’t say ‘I can’t’ say ‘I’ll try’”.