Spring Mills High School Poetry Out Loud

Izzy Dozier

This Friday, January 14th, Spring Mills High School had their annual Poetry Out Loud competition.  According to the Poetry Out Loud website,  “Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering free educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition for high school students across the country. This program helps master public speaking skills, build self confidence, and learn about literary history and contemporary life.”  

Spring Mills High School is the only school that participates in this competition in our county to encourage our students in these areas.  Spring Mills had eight students participate in this event by reciting two separate poems that they had previously memorized.  Along with this there were two authors, Crystal Good and Emily Keefer, who came to talk to the students about their experiences with writing and publishing. At the end of the event, there was a Q & A session.

The winner of the student competition was eleventh grader, Bronte Stump.  They will go on to compete in the Poetry Out Loud state competition in March.  The poems range from I Remember, I Remember by Thomas Hood to My Body II by Renee Watson.  One highlight of the event was stage assistant, Kenzal Jones, who entertained the crowd with his trip to and from the mic stand adjustments. The audience went wild for his costume changes, and magic tricks. 

Overall it was a great day for the students to enjoy hearing poetry and get out of the usual classroom setting.  Shout out to Mrs Salfia for pulling the event together and thanks to the English Department, Mr. Reese with his tech team, and our judges for making the day great.  Good job to the students who had the courage to recite their poems in front of an audience.